Please only read ahead if you have watched all four episodes of the new Gilmore Girls Revival, and are happy to delve into all my thoughts about it all! This is going to be chock full of spoilers, obviously. So don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Okay, so I’m putting this into list format because I have SO MANY thoughts and I’m gonna fire all of them randomly at you guys while I try to attempt to break down all four episodes. And I don’t trust myself to coherently put it all together in chronological order of any kind.
- THEY FINALLY MADE MICHEL GAY. HOORAAAAAY! I mean they just had to didn’t they? Plus it always annoyed me how no one seemed to be anything but straight in the original episodes. So Michel has a husband and may be expecting kids in the near future; this makes me incredibly happy! Also, that line about sounding like a child molester made me laugh SO MUCH. I love him.
- SOOKIE, man girl where are you? 🙁 I know, Melissa McCarthy is hella awesome and SO busy, but it did make me sad we seen so little of her. But also I did appreciate that it made everything more realistic. I mean, its 10 years later, if everyone was in the same place doing the same thing, it’d be silly.
- RICHARD. Aww man, we knew it was coming of course; but it was even more sad than I could have imagined. Watching Emily, Lorelai and Rory at his funeral made me break down in tears instantly. Especially Emily, my heart ached for her! There were SO many things that made me cry during these new episodes, and this was definitely a tear jerker.
- But that painting she had done of him LOL, he looked so angry!
- Kirk has got better looking with age! Hahaha. He looks less… gangly and geeky? LOL no offense lad. But yep age has definitely been kind to him.
- Although I can’t say that about everyone. I’m not going to name names as that feels mean haha, but some characters WOAH. And then you have people like Jess who have just gotten EVEN BETTER OMFG HUBBA HUBBA. Okay, sorry, I’ll calm down. And then there’s Lane and Mrs Kim who don’t look like they’ve aged at all, haha! Lucky sods!
- ALSO OMG WE SEEN MR KIM! Who is he?! Where the hell has he been?! I dont remember him even being mentioned before!
- PAUL. Oh my god this guy! Haha. Not much to say except… who is he??? Why did Rory bother? Also…
- Rory’s character throughout all four episodes is shocking, but I’m not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing. Okay so basically she’s stringing a guy along for a year or two.. or whatever, and she’s sleeping with Logan even though he’s engaged to someone else. HORRIBLE. I know. I was so disappointed. But not with the writers! Let me explain. You see I actually LIKE that they haven’t kept up this ‘Rory is so perfect’ thing, because it’s so unrealistic! Who the hell has never made a mistake? I love that they’ve pushed her into new territory. But that doesn’t mean I wasn’t mad at Rory. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! I practically screamed at the TV. Logan is a DICK!
- If it isn’t obvious by now, I’m team Jess.
- Also let’s talk about Dean! Everyone seems to really dislike Dean, but I never have! You see, yes him and Rory made a huge mistake years ago sleeping together when he was married, but the reason I’m happy to accept this and not Rory sleeping with engaged Logan – is because they were young and in love! When you’re a teenager, you’re a dickhead, just saying. Haha. I did SO much I wish I hadn’t and would look awful on paper, but I did it because I was in love and foolish. Logan and Rory circa 2016 don’t have that excuse, they aren’t young, I don’t think either of them loves each other, and they should know better. So yeah, anyway. I was happy to see Dean and see him doing well. It was nice.
- But JESS. OMG JESS. He was always hot but it’s like he MAXED out his hotness for the new eps. He just gets better and better. But there wasn’t enough of him!! Why was Logan in every episode and Jess only in two?! And THAT LOOK he gives Rory through the window oh my god I nearly cried! But I’ll talk more about Jess and Rory later…
- Onto Luke and Lorelai! YAY for still being together, yay for staying together! They had the most beautiful pre-wedding wedding and I couldn’t have wished anything better. I felt sad at that dodgy unsure bit in the middle of the series where it looked troublesome, but again I think this just made things more realistic.
- LORELAI HIKING. Or not? Haha. I loved this storyline, and it really reminded me I need to read Wild! So then I can go book Wild, haha. I loved that she tried something so new and weird, and I loved that she sorta failed but sort of got what she needed anyway. And now I have to mention that scene, on the hilltop, looking out onto the valleys/mountains/whatever. The scene where she phones Emily, and tells her Mom of her favourite memory of her Dad. This scene made me cry more than anything else throughout all four episodes. I absolutely SOBBED, in fact, I’m tearing up now thinking about it. Such a simple memory, and a heartbreaking scene. It probably hit me right in the feels as tomorrow is the anniversary of my own Dad’s death – but man it was so emotional. And Emily, looking touched and saddened and comforted, all in one go. Pass me the tissues! Well done to whoever wrote that scene.
- PARIS! Oh my god I have always loved Paris. I love that she’s not the perfect friend, she WILL be inappropriate, harsh, even mean. But she is FIERCELY loyal and deep down is an uncertain mess who just wants to be loved like the rest of us. She was fucking FANTASTIC in the new eps, and I loved everything about it. From assessing Luke’s junk to her god-like admiration of Lorelai.
- I thought the whole will they have a new baby thing was strange, I mean they so obviously weren’t going to. But I suppose it’s a nice set up to show they’re in a funky place and they want SOMETHING changing.
- Babbette is here! YAY! I love her so damn much. Also Miss Patti but WOAH where has she gone?! So different man. I loved how much effort they put into REALLY trying to show every little character even just once.
- That scene where Emily calls out the DAR bitches and keep saying BULLSHIT is my favourite thing ever. YOU GO EMILY GILMORE!
- Also want to mention at this point; I thought Emily’s story alone was absolutely fascinating. She’s an amazing character, and it was so satisfying to see her develop. We see her absolute heartbreak at a life without Richard, then her struggling to cope in whatever way she can, and then finally letting go of all her anger and pain, and accepting a new happiness. It brought me so much joy seeing her in the new home, with a new wardrobe, a new outlook on life and still pausing to blow a kiss to Richards painting. OH MY GOD IM GOING TO CRY AGAIN. And then we see her working at the whale museum – I have never been so happy in my life! BEST IDEA EVER. The character development here is fucking phenomenal. I only wish we got to see Lorelai SEEING this.
- Also I’ve just realised most of my crying during these four episodes had Emily involved in some way. She’s a character who really can just hit me right in the feelz.
- THERAPY. Lor and Emily in therapy was an amazing new twist and I loved it. I also loved the idea or Lorelai going alone too. I wish we could have regular doses of this, but obviously theres only so much you can do in four episodes.
- PAUL ANKA DRESSED AS LUKE OH MY FUCKING GOD YES. The notepad too!! Genius.
- Oh!! And I loved Emily with her new maid, they were brilliant. I love that Emily’s developing character and the language barrier means she has a maid she really likes (and cares for!) and the maid thinks she’s ‘one of the nicest women I’ve ever met!’ – HA. Brilliant. This caring and strange friendship warmed my heart.
- When Jess finally shows up, my heart screamed. Here he is in all his glory, once again supporting and championing Rory to not give up, and even gives her the amazing idea to write a Gilmore Girls book YAY! He is just so bloody perfect, Rory GO JUMP HIM NOW. You fool. He is mature, still funny, the friendship and connection between him and Luke is just lovely, and I honestly adore everything about him.
- Lor and Rory arguing about the book though – YIKES. I was disappointed in Lor here, but I got it. And I’m glad once she’s sorted her life out a bit she comes around 🙂
- THE THIRTY SOMETHING GANG OMG. Best idea ever, and it made me laugh so much! I love this.
- THE SECRET BAR. Another stroke of pure genius, I loved this! 5-0! UGH. BRILLIANT.
- Okay the Life and Death Brigade boys and the night they take Rory out. Mehh. I always hated them. I sighed when they showed up. Pompous, spoiled, think-they-are-hilarious grown up brats, pretty much sums them up for me. But the whole sequence was visually beautiful. And I appreciated Rory having friends who are a little wild and unconventional. But did it have to be THEM? Ughh.
- Then Rory finally after one last night with Logan; saying its over between them. ABOUT TIME LOVE.
- Then she returns to what I dub Gilmore manor, to write her book in Richards office. This made me cry too. Oh and the flashbacks that were included and the old quotes! – This gave me chills, very, very well done.
- Luke cooking for Paul Anka – AWWWWWWWWW.
- Lorelai finally showing back up to reunite with Luke in the kitchen gives us the damn best scene from Luke throughout all four episodes. He turns fierce and finally expresses himself fully. He tells Lorelai how much he loves her and how much he’s not going anywhere and he damn well wont let her slip away. It’s heart warming, and even more perfect when Lorelai finally shuts him up enough to tell him she wants to get married. OH YOU GUYSSS <3
- The scene where Rory visits Christopher (basically a grown up Logan, who I again, hate) was strange to me. I mean I thought yeah she’s writing this book so that makes sense. But it seemed strange how emotional and angry Rory was about him abandoning her, when she’d never expressed such feelings before. But obviously at this point, as we learn from those LAST FOUR WORDS; she must know she’s pregnant and it puts this scene in a very new light. Im glad she basically leaves him feeling like shit, and FINALLY saying some things that I screamed at my TV throughout the original 7 series.
- THOSE FINAL FOUR WORDS. Maybe it’s time I finally talk about them? ‘Mom?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘I’m pregnant.’ WOAH. This ending smacked me in the face! I did not see this coming and I feel like I totally should have, because it makes PERFECT sense. It gives the whole show this circle of life feeling. The story of a teen who gets knocked up, and has a child- ends with that child announcing SHE’s pregnant. And in similar circumstances. Sure she’s older, but her life is uncertain, she doesn’t have anything stable and things are all up in the air. I thought it was beautiful in a way. BUT!!!! OMG ok PLEASE don’t be Logans baby 🙁 I know it most likely IS, but man I’m hoping we get answers and I’m hoping those answers are JESS. Somehow! I mean, that LOOK he gives her through the window breaks my heart, he obviously still loves her, and they are so right for each other. Maybe there’s chance of a miracle? Like, they hooked up and we didn’t get to see, and Jess hasn’t pressured Rory into anything serious because he knows she’s just so unsure of everything at the moment BUT OMG HE STILL LOVES HER. Please let that happen. It just seems so unlikely… but PLEASE! And we might not ever even find out these answers, wahhhh! Tears. If we don’t ever get these answers, I’ve decided in my head it was Jess’ baby and they get together and everything is perfect. Just sayin’.
There’s a million other things I am thinking and feeling, but there’s just so much. I think I’ve summed up most of my thoughts pretty well. Overall I was happy with the ending and I can accept it, as long as we all agree the baby is Jess’ somehow, haha (I know its super poetic and likely that it’s Logan’s but it makes me so unhappy!). I really do like the teasing, circle of life theme they went with, even though it KILLS ME. I know some people hated it, but overall I appreciated it. It has gripped me. Even days later, I’m sat here thinking about every single second. That’s damn good TV guys, I believe that’s what they’d call a success.
I want those answers though, and I want more. I never ever got my Jess and Rory big, huge, romantic moment where they reunite. That moment where he has that painful, lovelorn look that aches for Rory, and they finally kiss and she finally sees she’s supposed to be with him. THAT is what I need.
I might never get it though, so I’ll have to make do with making up this story in my head, haha.
What about you guys?! Share ALL your thoughts with me on the whole revival! Tell me your favourite bits, worst bits, favourite faces to see again, and whose baby do you hope it is?
*Any items sent for review are written about 100% honestly and in my own words. Sometimes collaborative content and partnerships with brands will appear on this blog. Affiliates links are used throughout this blog.