There are faux pas and rules of thumb within every type of situation, and blogging is no different. Now of course there are never any limits, you should feel free to do whatever the hell you like! But popular opinion in the blogger community can generally be a good place to look if you’re just beginning and would like the lowdown.
So here are my list of Do’s and Don’ts I try to stick to, but by all means let me know if you disagree!
1. Show Gratitude: Thank people who are nice to you, in whatever way! Whether they’ve gave your promo a retweet, left a lovely comment on a post, or featured you on their blog – show how grateful you are, it’s just nice! Of course the ‘bigger’ or busier you get, I understand this may not always be possible.
2. Get Chatting: There are plenty of ways to get involved with the community, the most popular way probably being Twitter. Give people feedback on posts, get involved in blogger chats, let people know what you’re up to/how things are going. It’s a nice online way to be social, and people respond really well to someone who is chatty and involved. Of course, don’t feel you have to do this, if you want your blog to just be for you! 🙂
3. Be Yourself: Share your quirks, loves, hates and passions with us! The whole point is to make your blog your own little world, and that means every part of you. You’ll probably end up finding others with similar interests and making new friends!
1. Lie: This is probably one of the worst things you can do for your blog. By lying in any way, you are taking your readers for fools, and you’ll probably be caught out. Pretending to like a product because you’ve been paid for example, is never going to be worth losing your credibility. And once it’s gone, it’s gone.
2. Pester People: Okay so there’s a different between leaving your blog link somewhere, or asking people to check it out, than straight up hounding people. Plus it’s realllly awkward, and makes you look a little desperate. I’ve had people message me before saying they’ll follow me if I follow them, and it’s made me squirm inside. Even if they’ve had great blogs, it’s totally put me off them. Sure get your name out there! But don’t become a nuisance, and let the quality speak for itself, yeah?
3. Give Up: Are you sometimes guilty of comparing your work to others, and feeling completely overwhelmed? I know I’ve done this. But stick at it, it’s a journey. Take anyone who inspires you and look at their earliest work, I guarantee you it’ll be nothing like it is today. And that’s a great thing! It shows progress and determination. They’ve stuck at something that means a lot to them, and made the effort to learn and improve. Let it inspire you to do the same.
What do you guys think? Am I totally off the mark, or did I miss something? Let me know!
*Any items sent for review are written about 100% honestly and in my own words. Sometimes collaborative content and partnerships with brands will appear on this blog. Affiliates links are used throughout this blog.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.